Cultural Center
Christmas Ornaments
"Swamplawn Plantation" Jones-Everett Home, 1851
Oak City, North Carolina
The Friends of the Old Martin County Courthouse presents Swamplawn Plantation for its 2017 ornament.

Built ca. 1851 as evidenced from a date once visible on an upper cornice, Swamplawn marked the center of a thriving 3,000 acre plantation owned by Thomas Jones and wife Temperance Williams. One of Martin County’s wealthiest individuals prior to the Civil War, Jones employed noted NC builder, Albert Gamaliel Jones (no Known relation) to build his spacious Greek Revival style residence locate not far from present day Oak City in the Palmyra Community and along the highway more familiarly called “The River Road” or NC Highway 903 just south of the Martin-Halifax County line.

As contractor, Albert Gamaliel Jones enjoyed a distinguished career building not only fine homes but a number of the areas renowned public buildings, including the main buildings for Chowan College and Wesleyan Female College (no longer standing) in Murfreesboro and main building for Louisburg College in Franklin County. Noteworthy of his activity in Williamston is the former Cushing Biggs Hassell House (1847-48) on Church Street and the now demolished Williamston Female Institute (1851-52).

In 1880, then owner, William Pitt Jones, son of Thomas moved to Hamilton, N.C. and sold Swamplawn to brothers W.H. and Justice Everett. In 1892, a property swap occurred between the brothers, Justus trading his wife’s inheritance in Purvis family land near Spring Green Church for W.H.’s share in the Jones land. Thereby leaving Justus and Margaret Purvis Everett as sole owners at the same time they were living on Front Street in Hamilton.

In the swap, Justus Everett received a 600 acre farm and a house that was in poor repair. According to his daughter Margaret B. Everett, the residence was the only building standing, when earlier there had been a number of other original outbuildings. Additions and improvements increased the farm’s size to 1,000 acres by 1950 when Justus’s eight heirs divided the estate equally among themselves. Blanche Everett Harrison was the last family member to line in the house. Justus Everett died in 1913, his funeral conducted in the Spring Green Primitive Baptist Church.

The Everett children were well educated. Four brothers being remarkable in that they all served concurrently in the North Carolina Legislature between 1921 and 1943. Simon Justus represented Pitt Count (NC Senate – 1923, 1925). Rueben Oscar represented Durham County (NC House – 1921, 1925, 1927, 1933), James Alphonso, Sr., represented Martin County (NC House – 1927, 1929) and Benjamin Bryan represented Halifax (NC House – 1939, 1941, 1943). Interesting also, Alphonso’s son, James Alphonso, Jr., represented Martin County in the NC General Assemblies of 1967, 1969, 1971 and 1973-77. Swamplawn and the four brothers were the subject of a WRAL relevision segment “Tar Heel Traveler” in 2010.

Swamplawn’s house, commissary, overseer’s house and a surrounding five acre lot were sold through Preservation North Carolina and out of the Everett family ownership in the early 2000s. In 2011, a great-great grandson of Justus Everett, Simon Turner Everett purchased the same from PNC for restoration. With his untimely death in 2014, the property currently remains with his heirs.
Ornaments are on sale from November 1 to December 31
Call 252-792-5243 Today!
1995 1996 1997
Old Courthouse
$20 + S&H
Church Street School
SOLD OUT
City Hall
$15 + S&H
     
1998 1999 2000
Asa Biggs House
$15 + S&H
Log Tobacco Barn
$20 + S&H
Skewarkey Church2003
$15 + S&H
     
2001 2002 2003
Martin County Flag
SOLD OUT
Old Martin County Jail
$15 + S&H
Robersonville Depot
$15 + S&H
     
2004 2004 2005
Williamston High School
$15 + S&H
Robersonville High School
$15 + S&H
St. James Place
$15 + S&H
     
2005 2006 2007
Graball Street
$15 + S&H
A. R. Dunning House
$15 + S&H
The Roanoke River
SOLD OUT
     
2008 2009 2010
Peanut (Stacks) Harvest
$20 + S&H
The Roanoke River at Rainbow Banks
$20 + S&H
Jamesville & Washington Railroad & Lumber Company
$20 + S&H
     
2011 2012 2013
Little Read School House
$20 + S&H
St. Martins Episcopal Church
$20 + S&H
Bear Grass School
$20 + S&H
     
2014 2015 2016
240th Anniversary of
Martin County
$20 + S&H
WWII POW Camp
$25 + S&H
The Wharf
$25 + S&H
     
2017
   
Swampland Plantation
$25 + S&H
   
     
  Add $2 for Shipping & Handling

Ornaments are sold from
November 1 thru December 31 of each year

 
     
Friends of the Old Martin County Courthouse
P.O. Box 502  |  East Main Street  |  Williamston, NC 27892  |  252-792-5243
 

© Copyright 2016, All rights reserved
Updates to this website funded in part by a grant from Martin County Travel & Tourism

Website Design by Interactive Communications, Inc.