Friends of the Courthouse
Restoration Work Chronology
View slide show of restoration work

1986

September

Organized as Friends of the Old Martin County Courthouse, Inc.

1987 September As part of the ownership agreement with Martin County, Friends of the Courthouse removed the 1928 Jail Building at the rear of the courthouse. The R.C. Clark Co., of Rocky Mount completed the removal project. David Fischetti, a structural engineer from Cary, NC, supervised the work.

1989

October Retained the architectural firm of Stephens and Francis of new Bern, N.C. Paul Stephens, member of the firm, is a former employee of the NC Department of History and Archives and had worked on the courthouse project from it's inception.
1990 September Contract let for paint removal from exterior with Heritage Restoration Tech. at a cost of $28,047. Notes say "What a change! No longer a "grey ghost" but a beautiful 1885 red brick courthouse again.

Repair of the roof leaks and rebuilding the ledge of the parapet with salt treated wood and sheet metal. Contracted with White's Heating and Sheet Metal for a cost of $11,441.

1991 February Two judges chairs of the 1800's style were donated by former resident Harper Peel. Appraised value was $3,000. Work begins on exterior masonry as well as removing added partitions and knotty pine paneling from the interior.
September Contract with Neil S. Weeks Construction Co., Goldsboro, NC for brick repointing, masonry, and other exterior repairs.
1992 June Neil S. Weeks Construction Company paid $65,735.64 to date. (Architect's letter has details.)
1992 July All windows have been repainted on exterior at a cost of $3,400.
1991 August The front entranceway and east side entrance were rebuilt to their original state with carved wood paneling and wood panel doors under a fan glass transom. The doors were a memorial honoring Van G. and Dorothy Dixon Taylor and Helen Katherine Taylor.
2000   Sprinkler system was completed; removal of dropped ceilings in downstairs hallway and exit access, HVAC installed on first floor.
2006 October By the end of the fiscal year, the project had received $643,246.18 in grants, contributions and fundraising activities. Expenses had totaled $547,442.33.

*This list is NOT intended to be a complete representation of restoration activities.

Friends of the Old Martin County Courthouse
P.O. Box 502  |  East Main Street  |  Williamston, NC 27892  |  252-792-5243
 

© Copyright 2016, All rights reserved
Updates to this website funded in part by a grant from Martin County Travel & Tourism

Website Design by Interactive Communications, Inc.